Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Wedding and A Funeral



Well, my Etsy store is back up and running. I had it closed down for about a week and a half last month due to a sad event.


The night I got back from my niece's wedding (see below), I found out that my mother was going into hospice. She has been battling breast cancer that has now been in her bones and elsewhere for 4 years. At first we were told that it could be a couple of weeks at least or maybe up to 2 months, so I planned on going out there at the end of October.


We got a call 3 days later, on Thursday, October 23rd that she was starting to slip fast. My 2 sisters got there on Friday, and my brother and I arrived on Saturday, October 25th. "There" is Las Cruces, New Mexico , where my parents moved 20 years ago for their retirement.


I went straight to the hospice from the airport Saturday afternoon. I tried to prepare myself for how she would look, but still it was a shock. She was so skinny, her cheeks and eyes sunken in. She was no longer able to talk, and she appeared to be comatose. She was also heavily medicated for the pain. Since she could not talk to me, I am glad that I had spoken to her over the phone the week before. She did not sound good then either, and you could tell she was having trouble breathing.


My poor mother! All we could do was talk to her, hoping she could hear us, they say that the hearing is the last to go, and pray. We took turns spending the night on a cot in the hospice. I stayed the night on Sunday/Monday. That morning, on October 27th at 10:35a.m., she went to be with Jesus.




My Mom and Dad on Cruise for their
50th Anniversary-2005

We are all relieved that she is no longer in such pain, but it is still a loss, especially for my father. My mother was 77 and he is 82. His mind is very sharp, but his health is not that good either. He survived cancer himself, but has heart issues and needs to use a walker. My younger sister and brother are still in New Mexico with him, and hopefully, my brother, who has never married, will move out there permanently early next year. We would all be so relieved to have a family member living with my dad, instead of him being alone.

Please keep my family in your prayers. God Bless.




2 comments:

ChezChani said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your family is in my thoughts.

Joan Piwowar said...

Thank you so much. I do appreciate it.
Joan